Join us as we welcome Kimberly Davenport to talk about Tacoma's Lincoln District, a new pictorial history of the neighborhood. In 1889, a 40-acre parcel south of downtown Tacoma was set aside as South Park. In 1901, park commissioners officially changed the name to Lincoln Park to honor the former president. Lincoln remained the area's namesake, and portions of the park were carved out to create Lincoln High School in 1913 and Lincoln Bowl in the 1940s. This book shares stories of the district's creation, development, and, most importantly, people—residents; business owners; Lincoln High School students and teachers; and significant visitors, ranging from politicians and athletes to entertainers as varied as Paul Robeson and Elvis Presley.
Kimberly M. Davenport is a teacher, musician, and student of local history. A proud resident of the Lincoln District for nearly 20 years, she serves as director of the Tacoma Historical Society in addition to teaching a variety of courses for local universities. The images presented here were gathered from the Tacoma Public Library, Washington State Historical Society, Tacoma Historical Society, and Lincoln District residents, both past and present.