You are here
Tacoma's Lincoln District (Images of America) (Paperback)
Usually Ships in 1-5 Days
In 1889, a 40-acre parcel south of downtown Tacoma was set aside as South Park. In 1901, park commissioners officially changed the name to Lincoln Park to honor the former president. Lincoln remained the area's namesake, and portions of the park were carved out to create Lincoln High School in 1913 and Lincoln Bowl in the 1940s. The 20th century witnessed much change as the area became more diverse; businesses came and went; and, instead of the streetcar tracks that once crisscrossed the district, Interstate 5 now draws an obvious boundary to the north. The heart of the Lincoln District, however, remains the same--a neighborhood of modest single-family homes and thriving businesses, with the high school at its center. This book shares stories of the district's creation, development, and, most importantly, people--residents; business owners; Lincoln High School students and teachers; and significant visitors, ranging from politicians and athletes to entertainers as varied as Paul Robeson and Elvis Presley.